Since I just put up that entry crying about the confusion of my job, I thought I'd take a moment to share one of my first tangible successes. Here's an e-mail I got from the editor of the Kuwait Times after submitting my most recent story.
____
Date: Mar 17, 2006 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Iraq Dispatches
To: Tom Peter
Tom,
I love the Fobbit story! Exactly this type of quirky, off the wall detail is what will grab readers fatigued with Iraq stories. Keep it up and stay safe!
Jamie
ps. Why don't you come to Kuwait when you finish in Iraq? Would you be interested in a full time gig with us? If not, at least stop over and pick up your fees for the freelance work.
_____
It's the first time I've really ever gotten any kind of feedback (positive or negative) from her. So, it was quite exciting to not only get some positive feedback, but an actual job offer as well. On top of that, she actually seems interested in meeting me as a human being, which is pretty exciting as well. Right now I'm thinking I'll try to set up a job cycle with the Kuwait Times where I can do 3 months in Iraq, one or two months in Kuwait, and then back to Iraq. I don't imagine it will be a problem as the Kuwait Times, so I'm quite excited to actually have things finally taking shape.
A special thanks to those of you who continue to be so supportive throughout this process! I'll risk sounding sappy and say that I really couldn't do this stuff without you guys. Thanks!!!
____
Date: Mar 17, 2006 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Iraq Dispatches
To: Tom Peter
Tom,
I love the Fobbit story! Exactly this type of quirky, off the wall detail is what will grab readers fatigued with Iraq stories. Keep it up and stay safe!
Jamie
ps. Why don't you come to Kuwait when you finish in Iraq? Would you be interested in a full time gig with us? If not, at least stop over and pick up your fees for the freelance work.
_____
It's the first time I've really ever gotten any kind of feedback (positive or negative) from her. So, it was quite exciting to not only get some positive feedback, but an actual job offer as well. On top of that, she actually seems interested in meeting me as a human being, which is pretty exciting as well. Right now I'm thinking I'll try to set up a job cycle with the Kuwait Times where I can do 3 months in Iraq, one or two months in Kuwait, and then back to Iraq. I don't imagine it will be a problem as the Kuwait Times, so I'm quite excited to actually have things finally taking shape.
A special thanks to those of you who continue to be so supportive throughout this process! I'll risk sounding sappy and say that I really couldn't do this stuff without you guys. Thanks!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home